Friday, January 7, 2011

Warm Enough?

Chinese people over here never think your baby is dressed warmly enough, and they have no qualms about telling you about it. I've even had our vegetable lady loan me her personal blanket since I had forgotten Lizbeth's at home! Foreigners will complain that no matter how warmly you dress them, it is never enough. I think that this is mainly because they just want a reason to talk to you and look at your baby.

It can get quite old though, and some of them are not as nice about how they tell you their feelings. One of my friends said she was actually hit by a stranger who was so emphatic!

So, rather than combat it (and because sometimes they're right), I decided the best way is to go along. I purchased a Chinese style coverall for Lizbeth, and she wears it almost whenever we go out. Pleased with myself, I was relieved to have no one telling me she did not have enough clothes.

Until last week. After eating at a restaurant I bundled her up in her suit to go, and a gentleman asked me, "You're going to go outside? Isn't it too cold? Her face is exposed!" I wanted to laugh out loud, but calmly explained we were only going as far as our friends car which was parked right across from the door, and that I would close her stroller up so that the wind wouldn't bother her.

But honestly, what more does he want? She does have to breathe, doesn't she?

From December 2010

1 comment:

p&k said...

your little visual is too cute! and you describe the scenario so well . . .you and Lizbeth make a great blogging team!