Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stretching

One thing about being in new places is that you are stretched so much! This is something that has been good for me in my art, I think. One of the responsibilities that I have "volunteered" for this year is publicity for our drama events. This fall that included creating a magazine add, adapting student work to a poster design (more work than it sounds), and then simplifying and adapting that design into t-shirt form. (and also always under last minute deadlines that people forget to tell me about!) For some reason I volunteered for this again! This time, I had essentially two days to develop the magazine/poster design for the middle school play.

I should mention, that before this year, I have never designed a poster before...and that's what I mean by stretching :-)

I have really enjoyed (though at times not so much) these opportunities to develop my design skills and gain experience using GIMP (a free program similar to photoshop--it's awesome!) Our current play was written by our Middle School assistant principal (with significant input from Nathan and our music director), and is set in the 80's. It's a fun, original work about cultural differences and finding out who you really are. As roughly 70% or more of our students are Korean, we have a lot of simultaneous scenes taking place in Korean and in English! It's going to be great!

So, here's the poster. If you're in town, you should come! If not...maybe Nathan will make an amazing video of it!

From My Art