Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Well, Here I Go

So, as I have my own thoughts and feelings about our adventures, I thought I might create my own blog. Life is speeding away at its own fast pace these days and it seems that I can't e-mail everyone I'd like and tell them all that is going on. I'm sure everyone by now thinks we've dropped off the edge of the earth, as much as they've heard from us!

We're doing quite well here, and I'm starting to feel as though we've settled in. It's amazing to me that we've been here for over six weeks. (Or is it seven?) Living in China sure is interesting!

So, to catch up those who I haven't talked to since moving here (which is almost everyone), I thought I would make a couple lists. I might have to add to them later, but here are a few best and not so best things about living in China.


Things that I love about living in China

1. Taxis are cheap, and buses are even cheaper!
Most places I go to in a taxi take only 8-10 yuan, which is about $1.50--buses are only 1-2 yuan!

2. Our Ayi!
We love our Ayi! An ayi is a hired person who generally cooks and cleans your house. Sometimes they don't work out so well, but ours is fantastic. She is a wonderful cook, and it's awesome to have someone else do the ironing. However, every once in a while, something disappears only to show up in a strange place (it took us a month to find Nathan's brown belt). Overall, she has been great.

3. The food is great! (and inexpensive)
So far since moving here, I think I've cooked twice. Well, that depends on whether you count tuna fish sandwiches. :-) Although I have started baking for different birthdays at work.

Things that make life (a little too) interesting

1. Art supplies are limited
Basic art supplies are plentiful, but there's no Michaels for those random little things I took for granted in the States. Things like, sawdust, modgepodge, quality colored pencils...

2. Interesting Smells
Actually, this doesn't usually bother me. Except for the garbage can we have to walk by every day on the way to the bus. And the sewer gas that comes up through our drains.

3. No google maps
This is perhaps what I miss the most. In the states if I wanted to find something, say a furniture store, I would just google it, and then google map it. Here, few stores have websites, and if they do, I'd be lucky to be able to read it!


Until next time...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You mean food is even cheaper than in chinatown?! Whoa. ;)

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I'd probably be eternally lost without Google Maps. Have you tried ordering art supplies online?