Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Long Days and Nights

Ever have one of those weeks when you get to Wednesday and know it must be Friday? This week has felt that long. I think this feeling is always intensified right before a good break. Next week is National Day Holiday, which means we have the whole week off!

Saturday through Tuesday we have a staff retreat in the mountains. Then the rest of the week is free, although Nathan has drama practice one of the days so we can't go out of town. That's okay. I'm REALLY looking forward to sleeping in regardless!

Even though the weeks sometimes feel long, I have been surprised to realize how much I love teaching. All of my classes are great, and one of them is absolutely fantastic! I will miss this class when the semester is over. Being an art teacher is great, although so different from any of the standard disciplines.

Pluses of being an art teacher
1. Less grading--almost no papers to read!
2. Fun, hands on interaction with the kids.
3. I am forced to be actively involved in my art.

Minuses of being an art teacher
1. More planning is involved, especially in China.
2. It is so hard to find some of the simplest supplies.
3. I only get to meet a portion of the students.

It's great when you get to do something you love as an occupation. The days and nights might be tiring, but a new morning always comes.

No comments: