Saturday, December 15, 2012

Thanksgiving

I know this post is WAY behind, but I wanted to get it up anyways.

This year I finally did what I've wanted to do for a long time...I hosted Thanksgiving for some Chinese friends.

To be honest, I don't know if I've ever hosted Thanksgiving ever.

I was a bit daunted by the idea, but I was determined none the less.  Unfortunately, none of my American friends were able to do it with me, and Nathan had drama practice all day.  He got home after the first of our guests arrived.  I did have a British friend help me by bringing a sweet potato dish, rolls, and sausages.  I also had my Chinese helper during the day to help me clean, watch Matthew while I cooked, and wash the amazing amount of dishes I made...over and over again.

Anyways, it went pretty well.  Three couples and a mom came.  I made WAY too much food, but that's much better than the alternative.  My plan was to keep things simple, not go complicated on anything.  My turkey was a literal miracle as when I pulled it out of the fridge after being in there defrosting for 3 days the bottom half was still a literal ice block.  As in block.  Of ice.  I did everything you're not supposed to do (ran hot water directly into the inside to melt the block of ice quickly, prayed A LOT, and started preparing it before it was completely thawed) but somehow it turned out perfect.  As in a professional chef couldn't have done better.  I couldn't either.  Truly.  It was a miracle.  I don't know how it happened.  Unfortunately I forgot to get a picture before they began carving.

From 2012.11 November


I lucked out as the day before Lizbeth's preschool had a Thanksgiving lunch and they had a ton of extra stuffing so I snagged some instead of trying to make it from scratch.

For cranberry sauce I was able to locate dried cranberries and then reconstitute them by boiling them for a few minutes and adding disolved corn starch.

From 2012.11 November


On top of that I had candied carrots, salty carrots, green beans with bacon, apple sauce, two loaves of home made bread, a store bought sweet bread, sweet corn, apple sauce, pumpkin pie, chocolate chip cookies, carrot cake (which also turned out AMAZING), and banana bread. 

From 2012.11 November


Happy Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

Joanne said...

Looks amazing... And now I am STARVING!

Diana said...

This meal sounds fantastic and looks so good...hmmm...I'd like to sit down to dinner with you right now. Well may have to wait until the banquet in heaven to eat like this and for us to be able to eat the same things at the same table as everyone else!! :>)