Monday, December 27, 2010

Grated Butter

The other day my Chinese helper took me to a new baking store she had found. Among many other things, they sell butter and mozzarella cheese by the jin (a half kilo or a little more than a lb). Unfortunately, since the portions are chopped off of bulk blocks and repackaged, and the packages of cheese and butter look remarkably similar. Same clear plastic cover, same white label with black chinese characters.

When I went to drop off a jin of mozzarella to a friend who had asked me to pick it up for her, in my hurry, I didn't look very closely. It wasn't until I got home and unpacked my own that I realized I may have given her the wrong one. But I couldn't remember how many I had bought of each, so I asked her husband to check, and later sent her a text to ask her.

By this time, it was a couple days later, and she was out of the house. She said she had asked her Chinese helper to grate it, and that her helper had mentioned over the phone that it was "mushy".

Sure enough, when she got home, she found two large piles of grated butter...

Since I felt bad about giving her the wrong one, I switched with her. Now I'm trying to decide what to do with more than a pound of grated butter.

Nathan is actually fairly excited about the concept. He's amusing me by coming up with ways I could potentially use it. He thinks it will melt much faster on toast, pancakes, and anything else you usually spread butter on. Me, on the other hand, is not sure how to measure it out properly. I guess I could just melt it down and start over...not sure what that would do to the composition of it though :-P I guess this is a lesson in buying ingredients with labels you can't read.

From Random

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Grated butter is easy. You can substitute it in your recipes and don't even worry if the amount is a little shy - usually with butter/oil you can half the needed amount and be okay. And it does melt/spread a lot faster once it's shredded, Nathan's right. :) But no, I wouldn't use it to top a pizza. :)