Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Missing Friends

So, a friend got married last week. Or at least I think it was last week. Pictures were just posted online in the last couple days. Since moving to China, it's so easy to let friends slip away. The time difference makes it nearly impossible to call home, and who really writes letters anymore?

I guess that's why I've become so addicted to facebook. Every chance I get I pore over my friends pictures and notes. Each picture is a glimpse into their current lives, and a sweet reminder of what used to be. I cry over the baby pics and smile at the birthday parties, try to guess how old their kids must be these days, and wonder how they're really doing. And in a small way, it gives me the chance to be a little, albeit very little, part of their lives.

This current wedding was a friend of ours from college. I knew he was engaged, had been for awhile, but it was exciting to see the awaited event had occurred. What saddened me, or at least was emphasized through the pictures, was that we were the only ones from our group not in attendance. Even our friend who had moved at least five states away was part of the event, and I know it must have been a wonderful time for all of them to see each other again. How much I wish I could see them all again, even just for one night. I might even let them talk me into playing smash brothers with them! :-)

Most of the time I love living overseas. Times like these, well...it's hard. Very hard.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Indeed, it was just this past Saturday, and there were a couple others missing at the wedding.

As long as you're doing well in China, we're all happy for you, though. We'll be here when you get back (though not concentrated in Dallas).