Saturday, December 13, 2008

Laughs in China

Funny thing about Chinese door locks. Besides the fact that our door has three different ways that you can lock it, you can also accidentally lock someone inside the apartment. It works like this: if you turn the primary lock once, it locks the door from the outside. If you turn it again, it locks it from both sides, and only a key from the outside can unlock the door.

This has never been a problem before, as we primarily leave the apartment together. But this morning, Nathan had to go to our gathering earlier than me, and I needed the extra sleep. Someone had told us once about the danger of locking the other person in, and when I half awake heard Nathan leave, I thought, that wasn't two clicks, was it? And then rolled over and went back to sleep. I woke up late (after hitting the snooze button ten gazillion times), hurried into the shower, into some clothes, and half dried my hair. Rushing, I completely forgot the two clicks until I was bundled up and ready to head out, taxi money in hand, and found the door wouldn't open. So much for hurrying. Now I'm locked inside waiting to be let out. Romeo, oh Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? Let's hope there's not a fire, or I might be in trouble!

2 comments:

This Crafty Mom said...

That's really funny! how long were u locked in there?

girltravelor said...

Only a couple hours. I was able to get hold of Nathan in about an hour, and he came home to get me as soon as the meeting was over. Now we're really careful with the lock!