Sunday, December 7, 2008

Comfort Zone

Last time I posted we were about to head up to Tianjin on our own. As you may have seen from Nathan's blog, this went rather uneventfully, and we had a fantastic time! It was so great to reconnect with our friends.

I also mentioned that I was rather nervous about traveling out of our comfort zone of Qingdao. So...that went successfully, and then we went to Hong Kong for a school conference.

Have you ever thought about how frustrating it would be to work 4 months to learn a little Mandarin, only to travel to a place where all of that means practically nothing? :-) In Hong Kong they speak Cantonese, which is completely different from Mandarin. While there are several people who speak a little Mandarin, it is actually easier to find someone who speaks English! Talk about being pushed out of your comfort zone!

But, overall it was a pretty good trip. The conference was great. I had a big juicy steak and ribs (for about $20 USD) for the first time in four months or so. I even found slushies! There were 7/11's everywhere! Now if only I could find some sleep...but finals start next week so I guess that will have to wait.

No comments: