Thursday, July 4, 2013

What Does Normal Look Like?

Well, we arrived back in China on Tuesday after a 2 1/2 week trip to Oregon.  What's worse than an international flight with two kids?  An international flight with two kids and a terrible stomach flu (thankfully me, not them.  Although Matthew got it the next day).  It was terrible.  I couldn't keep anything in me, just sipped on sprite for hours in excruciating pain and hourly trips to the plane commode.  Longest trip EVER. 

To top it off, our kids are having a terrible time adjusting back to China time.  Matthew wakes up 2-3 times a night, and is up permanently somewhere between 2:30 and 4:00.  Lizbeth has been sleeping through, but is also up around the same time.  One of them has been up at 3:00 or so every morning.  How I miss sleep!

So now that we're back I'm trying to get back in the swing of things, but find it difficult on such little sleep.  Actually, though, this isn't a new thing.  Since having Snow, then Matthew going through sleep issues, then Snow again, then the trip to America, I've been living on 4-6 hours of good sleep for the past 4 months or so.  I can't even explain the exhaustion I feel.  I keep thinking things are about to turn a corner, but a new circumstance shows up to take away my sleep.  So, I've started to think:

Is this the new normal? 

And can my body and brain handle it?

The trip, by the way, was wonderful if not exhausting.  It was incredible as always to see our kids with their grandparents.  Definitely worth it.

2 comments:

Europe Adventure said...

Sorry Sis, I had the same virus thing here Monday. It kinda ruined my fishing trip, I still caught fish but was very very sick. Hope you get well and Lizzy and Nathan don't get it. The good news is, it only last 24-48 hours =)

David said...

It's good to hear you got back safely. I pray the Lord will give you more sleep quickly.