Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Korea

A few days before returning to China, I was lamenting the idea of having to spend an overnight in Korea by myself with Lizzy. I knew that there wouldn't be enough time to do any touring, and also that I would have to uncheck my huge 50+ pound monstrosities. My first idea was to just stay at the hotel in the airport, but at $140 that just seemed too expensive for a single night.

Then I remembered my tickets were flexible return. And I had a brilliant idea. Could I extend my stay in Korea a few nights, and how much would a ticket for Nathan to fly over cost? While it took a little convincing of him (how much fun would I really have touring Seoul while jetlagging, anyways?), a few phone calls, and an hour on the internet trying to choose a hotel, only a few hundred dollars later we had ourselves a mini vacation in a country we had wanted to see while we are here in East Asia. His ticket only cost $275 round trip (we can't even fly Texas to Oregon for that much!), and it only cost me $18 dollars to change my ticket (not really a fee, just a departure tax from Korea since I was staying longer than 24 hours).

I hate posting links instead of embedding the pictures for you all, but there are just too many to share. We had a really nice time, although I was tired. My only regret is that we didn't have enough time to contact any of our students to see them, but there's always next time! We'll have to see what other countries we can arrange a free layover in :-)

2 comments:

David said...

Ruth, Thanks for the update. Did you get a chance to see the photos I posted. Love Dad

Kristen said...

Seoul is so beautiful. But then, architecture anywhere but America is so sublime. Thanks for the pics!