Sunday, March 20, 2011

Always a Downside

As many of you know, we have a Chinese helper (yes, sort of like a maid). Now before you get excited, remember that you have a car (prob at least one), can speak your native tongue when shopping, and unblocked internet. :-) I'm not saying one way is better than another, just that they are different.

We love our "Ayi". She adores Lizbeth, even comes early so she can play with her more, is a great cook, and truly has a servant heart.

But there are always downsides. For instance:

Where is my black t-shirt? Did I leave it in America, or did she put it in Nathan's clothes, or did she put it in one of the FOUR places she puts my t-shirts? (Still haven't found it...)

Why doesn't she understand that these toys go here, and those ones there? (Because I haven't told her...)

Why did she WASH my leather hat? (I guess they don't understand that leather shouldn't get wet? And I did leave it on the floor...)

The latest event involves the pressure cooker. Last week I had the great idea to make refried beans. Well, I can't figure out why, but my chinese pressure cooker doesn't work that great. I have to double or even triple the time, and last time (even though I added additional water after checking to find them not done) it completely burnt them. So, I gave up, put the pot in the sink, and waited for Ayi to wash it.

I returned home that afternoon (Wed) and saw that she had washed all the dishes and placed the pressure cooker on the back of the stove. Thinking that she just didn't know where I store it (I've only had it since Christmas and used it a few times) I left it there.

Now on to Sunday. I returned home in the afternoon to find Nathan with all the windows open. When I commented, he said the house had "stank" when he came home. Sewer lines in China often stink from the sinks, so I didn't think much about it. Later we were cooking and I needed the back burner. When I lifted the pot, a retched stench was emitted and I realized that the beans had never been cleaned...and now were beyond moldy. Ew.

Now I have to clean it myself, and talk to her about why she didn't clean it last week. Fun.

I am not complaining at all. Well, maybe just a little. But I also realize, most of our issues come from my lack of communication, and her non-english ability. I know I should tell her when I don't like something, but my non confrontational personality cringes at having to tell someone they did something wrong. Especially someone as loving and caring, who will feel awful if she realizes she ruined something (such as my hat). I guess every good thing has its downsides.

Over all, we are incredibly blessed. She is wonderful and Lizbeth adores her (of course, so do we!) The smile Lizbeth gives every time she opens the front door is worth every hard part. Of course, almost never having to wash dishes does a bit too.

1 comment:

Emily Forrest said...

Maddy also loves our helper. Our only downside is her realizing the kids really do need naps even when they don't nap right away :-(