Friday, November 19, 2010

Daddies are special too

This morning our schedule has been off. Actually, we don't really have a set "schedule" for Lizbeth, but usually she wakes up between five and six to feed, sometimes goes right back to sleep, and sometimes plays for an hour or so, and then goes back to sleep. But last night we had the high school drama production, so little one didn't really go to bed until after 10:30, instead of around 7:30. Amazingly, she (and therefore we) slept in until 9:00 AM!

However, my delight was shortlived once I realized how out of sorts this made her. Although she awoke cheerful, since then she's been fussing on and off, and refusing to go back down for a nap. When I changed her diaper, she melted down, then putting her in her crib while I washed my hands elicited the type of cries we rarely hear. Nathan went to get her, and walked her, talked to her, and played with her to calm her down.

But she still wouldn't take a nap, and began to cry again.

I was in the living room folding and sorting diapers, and realized the cries had tempered down to a soft wimper. Tiptoeing over, I peaked into her room.

From 2010November


He was able to get her to go to sleep next to him on the floor! I could never do that! If I even tried, she would want to nurse, and if I refused, she would melt down into a full tizzy. Then I would be frustrated, she would be frustrated, and eventually I would either get up and give up, or give in and nurse her to sleep even though she didn't need it.

10 minutes later he was able to get her to transfer to her crib, no problem.

There is a special bond between a mommy and her baby, but I'm realizing there is also one between a daddy and his baby. Last night at the play, Nathan was in the tech booth and I was in the back row in case Lizzy Ann got fussy (which she did). I had her over my shoulder, looking behind me towards the booth. All of a sudden there was a squeal of delight as she spotted her daddy. Actually, it even sounded like "Daddy!", though it's a little early for her to be calling us by name. Still, it was fun to see how happy she was.

And how special her daddy is to her.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

So true. I love how Elise loves her Poppa. It is an amazing thing to watch.

Emily Forrest said...

I can relate. Today Nate called to check in and I put the phone up to Maddy's ear and she just glowed when she heard his voice. She loves her daddy!

p&k said...

So sweet!

Hope there's room in Lizbeth's little heart for some aunties and uncles too . . . can't wait for your visit!

Love, K

Kristen said...

That little girl is about six months now, isn't she? This is my favorite age for babies! Glad to know you're enjoying her. She'll need a sibling soon.......