Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Ayi

I just have to post...our Ayi is amazing! Not only does she generally anticipate our needs before we can say something (we never run out of paper towels), she is an amazing cook.

Many people know that I am allergic to gluten, which makes finding a variety of foods often quite difficult. In the States, ingredient substitutes were quite easily found at our local HEB or Whole Foods. Unfortunately, Qingdao does not have an equivalent of either, and their local specialty "jiaozi" (pronounced jout-za) is completely wheat and gluten filled. It is similar to a dumpling, bread-like dough wrapped around a tasty filling, usually meat. Due to my allergy being against the main ingredient, I have been unable to take part in this local delicacy.

When we first hired our Ayi, our translator explained to her that I cannot eat wheat or gluten. The first night we came home to her food, she had prepared fried chicken...I was concerned until I realized that she had used a cornmeal mix to create a wonderful breading. For the first time in years I was able to eat fried chicken!

Since then she has prepared fried shrimp, noodle dishes using rice noodles instead of wheat noodles, and many other tasty treats that have been absent from my diet since I discovered my allergy.

However, Monday she topped everything she had ever done. We came home to her preparing a gluten free jiaozi for me! She has created a potatoe flour substitute to wrap the meat with, and it was fantastic! It was so good, I was afraid once again that she didn't truly understand my allergy and had used wheat, but I did not get sick. She has proved her worth to us in many ways, but what has come to stand out to me the most is her deep care for us. She continues to go above and beyond! Thank you Ayi!

From Random

No comments: